These are the best SEO tips to rank electrician websites on the first page.
You’ll find a complete step-by-step guide and a list of SEO keywords.
Here’s everything you need to improve your ranking in Google:
Electrician SEO (search engine optimization) is the process of improving your website to rank higher on the search engine results page. Since the top 3 positions receive 54.4% of the clicks, SEO-optimizing your website is a no-brainer. The higher you rank on Google, the more organic traffic you’ll get. Which obviously results in more new customers.
For example, let’s say you optimized a landing page for “licensed electrician in Chicago”. A potential client searches “licensed electrician near me” and you show up on top of the Google search results. Congrats, you just got more new patients.
1. Renew your domain name for 3-5 years.
Renew your domain name to show search engines that you are here to stay. Google filed a patent about businesses that register domains for years in advance.
“Valuable (legitimate) domains are often paid for several years in advance, while doorway illegitimate domains rarely are used for more than a year. Therefore, the data when a domain expires in the future can be used as a factor in predicting the legitimacy of a domain.”– Google Patent
2. Open a Google Business Listing
Create a Google My Business to control your online presence. This puts your hours, reviews and information on the search engine results page. You also get a backlink, which is great for link building. As a business owner, this is a must.
3. Open an account with these websites:
Google and Bing use citations for local search ranking. This is a big ranking factor for local SEO. Create an account with these webpages and submit to their directories to increase your search visibility.
- Bing Places
- Google Sites
- Need more citations? Consider our SEO Services for electricians.
4. Make sure your website, phone number and email are the same everywhere
Electrical companies should make their info is the same all over the internet. Old or incorrect phone numbers create a bad user experience. This affects your search visibility in the Google search results.
5. Ask your customer to review you
This is an easy off-site marketing strategy to get new customers. Google reviews are basically a lead generation magnet. They’re filled with “long-tail keywords” that Google to match “searchers intent”.
In other words, when potential customers search “best electrical contractors” in Google Maps, you should up!
6. Reply to your reviews
One great SEO strategy is to reply to your Google, Yelp or Facebook reviews. It shows search engines that you care about your online presence. It also increases engagement. Which Google has been testing as a ranking factor. This is a huge form of internet marketing and any SEO company will confirm it.
7. Keep your page headings under 60 characters
When creating new website content, keep your page headings short. Titles should be under 60 characters including spaces. You want short SEO-optimized title tags with the right keywords. Title tags that are longer, will get cut off in the search engine results on mobile devices.
Good: Best Electrician in Miami
Bad: Licensed Electrician Bob in Miami, Florida
8. Use keywords in your page URL’s and keep them short
SEO-optimized page URL’s should be short. They should also include the target keyword.
9. Rename images and optimize your ALT tags
When you upload images to your website, you can change ALT tags without a web designer. Most electricial companies use WordPress for their web design. If you go to “Media” inside your Admin, you can click on any image and rename the ALT tag.
Facebook images work the same way. Click on any Facebook image you uploaded, click Edit and use your target keywords that match the image. SEO-optimized image file names and ALT tags help Google understand your website content.
10. Switch to better hosting
For most local businesses, cheap hosting ($3-$5 a month) is more than enough. However, when it comes to search engine optimization, you want fast VPS hosting. Upgrading is sometimes as simple as calling your hosting company. Ask for VPS hosting and a dedicated IP address.
Why? Because, shared hosting shares the same IP address with 100’s of other non electrical industry businesses. This means when they abuse or spam, your website gets flagged by search engines. VPS hosting is about $10-$25 a month and a dedicated IP is usually $3-$10 a month.
11. Generate a XML sitemap
Since most electrical companies use WordPress, we recommend Yoast SEO. This WordPress plugin automatically generates a sitemap for you. It’s easy to use and every electrician SEO company will agree.
12. Confirm you don’t have broken links on your website
Broken links affect how your website ranks. Imagine a potential customer clicks a link on your website. Then, gets redirected to a 404 error page. This creates a bad user experience. This is one of Google’s ranking factor metrics.
13. Find related keywords
Related keywords are the secret to quality content. Electrician SEO companies refer to them as semantic or LSI keywords. Use these related keywords inside your blog posts. Here’s one way to find them:
- Google your target keyword
- Scroll to the bottom
- Related words are bolded
Example: If the target keyword is “Miami electrician”, then you want to include miami beach, electric company, best, commercial, residential, contractors, masters in your blog post for that keyword.
14. Write blog posts about what your customers are looking for
This takes a lot of work, but it’s simple. Search topics that your potential customers search for, but can’t find an answer to.
Example: “What type of wiring is common in Florida?”
Create a high-quality article that uses local keywords. This helps your target audience and is great for lead generation. Some people will read it, while others will call you.
15. Make useful YouTube videos
Turn your existing content into YouTube videos. This gives your clients a choice to read or watch your content. This is great for link building and showing Google your authority in the electrician industry. Make it very specific to your local business. Don’t forget to share it on social media to generate organic traffic.
Example: “Most common types of wires in Florida”
16. Choose 1-2 social media platforms to focus on
Don’t create content on 5 different social media platforms. This is a waste of time, unless you’re a large corporation. It’s great to have accounts on every platform for backlinks. However, when it comes to a good SEO strategy, you want engagement (likes and comments).
If you have 1,000 followers, but 1 comment, Google thinks you’re not interesting or your followers are fake. Google filed a patent for detecting fake accounts.
17. Use your own photos
Use your own photos. Google boosts unique quality content in the organic search results. If you’re using stock images or stolen images from a different website, they will penalize you and hide you from search results.
18. Don’t use popups
Many websites use popups to get email subscribers. This is annoying and a bad user experience. While it’s not directly a ranking factor, it contributes to a new customer leaving your webpage. Which is a metric that Google tracks.
19. Don’t buy cheap SEO services for electricians
Stay away from cheap SEO companies that buy links from Fiverr. Your website will rank fast for 1-3 months, then disappear from Google search results. Or end up on page 49. It’s like hiring a handyman to upgrade your circuit breaker instead of a licensed electrician.
20. Create a SEO-optimized blog post (simple steps)
- Choose a target keyword
- Keep heading (title tag) under 60 characters
- Use the keyword inside your heading
- Use a short page URL with your keyword inside
- Write 1000-2000 words on your topic
- Use target keyword 3-7 times inside your content
- Two of those keywords in the first and last section
- Include relevant words to your main keyword
- Use sub-headings (smaller headings) to break up content
- Use your photos to break up lengthy content
- Link to other pages on your website inside your blog post
21. Confirm you are not blacklisted or blocking search engines
Here’s how to check if your website or IP is blacklisted.
22. Confirm your are not blocking search engines
Here’s how to check if you’re blocking search engines from scanning your web pages.
23. Create a Google Search Console account
If you’re going to do your own internet marketing, you have to start a Google search console. It shows you what Google see when it scans your content.
- best electrician in [city]
- licensed electrician in [city]
- install EV charger in [city]
- emergency electrician in [city]
- electrical repair in [city]
- upgrade circuit breaker in [city]
- [city] electrical company
- [city] affordable electricians
- [city] EV charging installers
- [city] electrician for small jobs
- [city] residential electrician
- [city] commercial electrician
- [city] 240v installers
- [electrician name] vs [competitor]
- [electrician name] rates
- [electrician name] services
- [electrician name] types of repairs
- [electrician name] license